I think this is going to be a huge evaluation, because many times I haven’t forgiven myself for things I have done, often I have bottled up my feelings and have felt shame and guilt.
So what is Self-Forgiveness anyway?
- Accepting yourself as a human who has faults and makes mistakes.
- Letting go of self anger for your past failures, errors and mistakes.
- No longer needing penance, sorrow and regret over a grievous, self-inflicted personal offense.
- The act of self love after you have admitted your failure, mistake or misdeed.
- The spiritual self healing of your heart by calming self rejection, quieting the sense of failure and lightening the burden of guilt.
- The act of letting go of the need to work so hard to make up for your past offenses (This is going to take some work for me) I have always felt like I am my own worst punisher.
Negative consequences of the absence of self-forgiveness:
In the absence of self forgiveness, you run the risk of:
- Unresolved hurt, pain and suffering from self-destructive behaviors.
- Unresolved guilt and remorse for self-inflicted offenses.
- Chronically seeking revenge and paybacks toward yourself.
- Being caught up in unresolved self anger, self hatred and self blaming.
- Defensive and distant behavior with others.
- Pessimism, negativity and non-growth oriented behavior.
- Having a festering wound that never allows the revitalization of self healing.
- Fear over making new mistakes or of having the old mistakes revealed.
- Being overwhelmed by fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of non approval, low self-esteem and low self worth.
Be sure to come back tomorrow as I share Signs of the Absence of Self-Forgiveness