- Healthy Anger
- Harmful Anger
I don’t know about you, but I have never heard of anything like this before. Growing up anger was anger, usually followed by some type of punishment. I am still trying to wrap my head around this.
Healthy Anger: Is when anger is expressed out of caring or respect and a desire to restore a relationship or resolving a problem. Attack the problem, not the person.
This, is something I need time to process, how do you respect anger?
Harmful Anger: When expressed out of a desire to seek revenge, get even, hurt or attack the person without concern for the relationship or resolving a problem.
This type of anger is what I feel the most and more importantly when I feel resentment and hurt. I know it is going to take time to learn how to remove my resentment and hurt for things that happened years ago. These are very painful moments, that are final and can never be changed.
The other thing I have become aware of is that anger and aggression are significantly different.
- Anger refers to an emotional state consisting of feelings that vary in intensity from mild irritation or annoyance to intense fury and rage.
- Aggression refers to a set of behavior traits directed at destroying objects and injuring or punishing people.
- We often do not draw a distinction
- Aggression is one type of anger expression
- Aggression is almost always destructive
Well I can honestly say I have been more aggressive than just angry. I struggle with rage and destruction.
What kind of anger behavior are you?